About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, February 15, 2019

Ryan Atkinson Invited To Big League Camp With Diamondbacks. Could He Break Camp As A Major Leaguer?










Ryan Atkinson was disappointed when Major League Baseball spurned him in June 2015.

On the eve of the opening of spring training camp, he appreciates his shot at the big time.

"I am fortunate," Atkinson said.  "It is definitely a grind but I see guys in their sixth or seventh year in the minor leagues.  It is not easy. I am fortunate that it has been a shorter grind."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/ There is miles to go before he makes it to the Major Leagues, if at all.

"I'm trying not to get my hopes up," Atkinson said.  "I just try to work hard and perform. If I don't make the big league roster, I would think they would move up to Triple A.  But I don't expect that. I just want to work hard, stay healthy and compete."

For every $30 million dollar player, there are thousands who ride the buses and pick up Uncle Ben's rice in a motel, pulling roast chicken off the bone.  Atkinson knows this.

The UC baseball star out of Colerain was passed over in the draft.  Atkinson, used his college degree to work as a personal trainer with an emphasis on nutrition.  He worked as a patients services manager at the UC Medical Center.

Now he is sought out by Arizona Diamondback players for his educated advice.  Atkinson is more than happy to oblige the Major Leaguers but his office is a couple lockers away.

"The other day, Robbie Ray, was just talking to me the other day.  He was like is it true you were a body builder.  I told him kind of.  I never competed but it is my passion to work out," Atkinson said.  "I like to help them out here and there."



The Diamondbacks signed him after a tryout for The Evansville Otters in the Frontier League.  He hadn't picked up a baseball for a year but threw well enough to attract attention.

After a handful of innings, the Diamondbacks signed Atkinson.  In his fourth season of professional baseball, Atkinson was invited to spring training for the second time.  A former starter, he is trying to make the jump from the Double A Jackson Generals to the Diamond
backs as a relief pitcher.

Last year Atkinson hit a wall.  He had been to spring training after pitching six weeks in the Arizona Fall League.

He started the season a couple weeks late.  Atkinson had a bad cut on his hand.  By mid June he was 2-2 with a respectable 3.76 Earned Run Average, that included six scoreless innings against the Reds' Pensacola squad.  His next seven starts saw his ERA mushroom to 5.25.



The Diamondbacks player development department led by Mike Bell, a former number on draft choice of the Texas Rangers, made the decision to move Atkinson to the bullpen.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Bell knows first hand that draft status whether a player is a first round choice in the draft or an undrafted player, has little to do with future success.

"My first time out of the bullpen, I was like a brand new pitcher almost," said Atkinson, who thrived in the role.  He made nine appearances as a reliever, pitching 13 innings with two earned runs.  One indicator was his drop in walks issued. Atkinson issued no walks in his last three appearances.  As a starter, he walked 52 in 96 innings as a starter.  About one walk per nine innings fewer.


"I don't know what it was," Atkinson said.  "I would say I had better command.  I guess it was a perspective thing.  Like getting a new role and being more motivated.  I told Mike Bell that I felt like a new pitcher.  I was more up tempo and willing to attack hitters right away."

Atkinson had more time to work on mechanics in the bullpen."I worked on my mechanics a little bit to get more control of my body and get good repetition," Atkinson said.  "I am working on a cutter to go with my fastball and change up.  I was inconsistent with my curveball.  It is still good pitch but it is inconsistent with it.  I think that showing a fourth pitch will help me out."

Atkinson is one of 36 pitchers competing for 12 or 13 spots on the Opening Day rosters.

Kevin Ginkel is Atkinson's roommate. They share Ginkel's car and a room until Atkinson's new wife Dana, a 2012 Colerain , arrives in Scottsdale in mid-March.

"I don't do much outside of camp," said Atkinson who is concentrating on his job. "So I turned in my rental car to save a little money.  I just do some grocery shopping."

Atkinson is determined to write a new chapter in his life by breaking camp with the big club but is aware of the challenge and accepts it.


http://donatelifeohio.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment