About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Xavier Sweeps Marquette Trevon Bluiett Joins Elite Club






Trevon Bluiett joined four other Xavier Musketeers with 2,000 career points in a 89-70 drubbing of the Marquette Golden Eagles on the second trip through the Big East.

Bluiett scored exactly the 13 points needed to join a club with Byron Larkin, David West, Romain Sato and Tyrone Hill.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
 "It means a lot," Bluiett said.  "When I made that last basket I heard the gym erupt.  I saw my teammates come over to give me high fives, and reality kind of set in.  It was a special moment for me. I always wanted to come to a program where I could have an impact, whatever it was.  To leave my name in Xavier history is special."



The Musketeers closed out 3-point threat Marcus Howard forcing to drive for his game-high 33 points.  Xavier held Marquette (13-7, 4-4) to a season-low six 3-pointers.  By contrast the Golden Eagles made 15 in their four-point loss to Xavier on December 27.

Howard came into the game, making 57 straight free throws.  He missed his first chance of the game.and finished 2-for-4 from the foul line.

Bluiett chalked up a double double by grabbing a game-high 10 rebounds.

The net broke on Xavier's basket during the second half causing a 10-minute delay.

"We presented the net to Trevon," Xavier coach Chris Mack said.

Quentin Gooden led the Musketeers with 15 points.  Karem Kanter scored 14.  Freshmen Naji Marshall and Paul Scrugg has 10 apiece.

Howard accounted for nearly half of Marquette's points.  Harry Frolling scored seven points.  Everyone else scored six or fewer.

"We were outclassed in every way," Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski.

Xavier, ranked 8th in the nation, never trailed in the game.  The score was tied at 5-5 when Howard made his first shot, a 3-pointer at 17:36.

Xavier led 51-33 at halftime.

In the second half Marquette could get no closer than 15 points.

It was the eighth time in the last 10 meetings that Xavier came out on top of Marquette.  The Golden Eagles swept the season series last year for the two wins.

Xavier will play at St. John's on Tuesday at 8:30 p.m.

Marquette will host number one Villanova at noon on Sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment