About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Reds Find The Power






The Reds used three home runs off Atlanta starter Matt Wisler in the fourth inning to down the Braves, 8-2.

Brandon Finnegan navigated the Braves lineup twice with relative ease.

Adonis Garcia had the second of his three hits to lead off the fourth inning but Finnegan got the next two hitters. Jeff Francoeur doubled home Garcia for the first run scored against the Reds pitching staff in 18 2/3 innings dating back to Saturday night.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
 
Zack Cozart, Joey Votto and Eugenio Suarez homered in the bottom of the inning as the Reds netted five runs, ending a drought in which they scored just two runs in the last two games.

"It is good to see Joey play the game without his early struggles," Bryan Price said. He's getting the results he's worked so hard to attain."

Cozart started the inning with his 15th that tied his career-high from 2012.  Votto followed Billy Hamilton's single with his 15th home run.  Eugenio Suarez celebrated his 25th birthday with his 16th home run, his first in two weeks and just his second since June 22.

"Early in the season I struggled hitting the fastball. I had to start there," Votto said. "I had to get that corrected.  I hope the work is paying off.  We'll see at the end of the season. I've had years where I started out really well and really poorly with everything in between.  I have to get as much as I can out of my diminishing skills."

Garcia hit hsi sixth home run off Finnegan, leading off the sixth for Atlanta.  Freddie Freeman doubled and Nick Markakis singled to put runners on the cornere with no outs.  Blake Wood relieved the distressed Finnegan and kept the Braves from scoring.

"I kept falling behind Garcia," Finnegan said. "It was easy to get down after my last two starts but for the most part, this game went well."

Finnegan pitched five innings, allowing two runs on seven hits and a walk.  He struck out five and put himself in position to snap his three-game losing streak.  Finnegan's last win was at Atlanta on June 14. 

"He ran out of gas in the sixth," Price said. "He's working hard to stay on top of the rubber.  He exerts more energy trying to put more power behind it.  Like Sandy Koufax said you want to throw as hard as you can with as little effort as possible.  I think Finny owes Wood and Suarez a dinner.  Wood came in and got big outs. Suarez kept the line drive from going down the line."

Tucker Barnhart drove in Adam Duvall with a single in the sixth. Votto singled to drive in Hamilton in the seventh and scored on a hit by Ivan De Jesus Jr.

Raisel Iglesias pitched two scoreless innings in relief.  Ross Ohlendorf pitched the scoreless ninth.

No comments:

Post a Comment