About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cueto Will Miss A Start in HIs Quest for The ERA Title

Johnny Cueto will miss his next scheduled start Monday against Houston.

The setback puts his attempt to win the National League ERA title in jeopardy.  He trails Los Angeles lefty Clayton Kershaw, who has a 2.30 ERA to Cueto's 2.31.  Roy Halladay is also in contention with a 2.34 mark.

Cueto needs six more innings to qualify because he missed the first few weeks of the season.

The 25-year old Dominican strained his right lat and left the game against the Cubs on Wednesday after 3 2/3 scoreless innings.

"There is going to be a meeting to determine how they will treat the injury," trainer and translator Tomas Vera said.

"I don't know if I will pitch again at this point.  I want to throw  but I feel sore and its painful right now," Cueto said. "As the doctor told me we will see how it progresses to see if I can pitch again.  I don't know if it will be a benefit to pitch again.  I don't want to take any medication in my shoulder just to pitch one more time.  I just want to see if I feel ok to pitch one more time.  I have to be healthy for next year."

The ERA title is a consideration.

"I would like to keep going like I was.  I was battling to be one of the top three guys.  But I have to do what God wants me to do," Cueto said.

Dusty Baker will wait to see how Cueto feels to determine if Cueto will pitch again.

"At don't know at this point what's best.  He has nine possibly 10 days in between, so we'll see," Baker said.  "It depends how he feels.  If he feels ok then possibly.  The key word is possibly.  The ERA is a consideration but if he doesn't have the chance.  We will talk to him or talk to the doctor to see what's best for him."

The Reds could use Travis Wood or Matt Maloney to fill the spot in the rotation.

"Maloney is more stretched out at this point," Baker said.  "Or we can go with a bullpen day."

No comments:

Post a Comment