About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rolen Left Early Reds Lose 15-13

Scott Rolen was hit with a pitch by Tommy Hunter of the Texas Rangers in the first inning.

He stayed in the game but made two errors two innings later that put extra base runners on for Travis Wood.  Wood gave up a grand slam home run to Nelson Cruz in the inning.

"Rolen had stitch marks on his arm," Dusty Baker said.  "I haven't heard anything so no news is good news."

Rolen had trouble gripping the bat and the hit by pitch likely caused the miscues.

"We threw the ball around that one inning," Baker said.  "Sometimes you need help from your friends but that inning Wood didn't get any.  He threw the ball well.  He got his pitch count where we wanted it to be."

"I feel like I'm ready for the season to start," Wood said.  "My pitches are working pretty well. I'm stretched out pretty good."

The Reds battled back.  Jonny Gomes hit a three-run home run.  Wood had an RBI double to give the Reds a lead as he left the game.  Chris Heisey hit a two-run triple.  This year's spring sensation Dave Sappelt had two hits, including a two-run home run.  He is now hitting. 535.  He may still be heading to Louisville but has really turned a lot of heads this spring.

Jose Arredondo is still inconsistent as he allowed a big home run to Chris Davis.

"He throws a real good breaking ball, then throws one that does nothing," Baker said.  Arredondo is working his way back from surgery.

Bronson Arroyo pitched in a minor league game and threw 87 pitches.  He had been battling the flu.  The Reds wanted to see that to make sure he had his strength back.

No comments:

Post a Comment