About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sparky Anderson Passes

The "Main Spark" of Cincinnati's Big Red Machine died today near his hometown of Thousand Oaks, California.

He was 76.

At his request there will be no funeral or memorial service.

The family also requests any donations be made to CATCH, Sparky’s charity for children in Detroit, or the charity of one’s choice.Donations to CATCH may be made online at http://www.catchcharity.org/ or mailed to:

CATCH
223 Fisher Building
3011 West Grand Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48202

Sparky gave all the credit for his success to his players.  It takes a special person, though, to lead a group of players with the enormous egos to the heights they reached.

On a personal level, he was the type that made you feel important, even though he hardly knew you.

For one personal anecdote, I was covering the Reds in spring training at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, Florida about five years ago.  The Reds were playing the New York Yankees in an exhibition game.  Sparky was talking to George Steinbrenner in the box seats as I was walking in the aisle toward the press box two rows behind them.  Anderson spotted me and made a point to leave Steinbrenner, walk up the two rows and greet me.

As a non-essential person in the baseball world, that made me feel like I belonged.  That was Sparky's way.  There was not one usher, grounds crew member or fan that Sparky would not acknowledge and have a conversation with.

The world is slightly diminished today with the loss of such a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment