About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Owings Sent To Louisville to Work

The Cincnnati Reds optioned Micah Owings to Louisville.

Owings misplaced the plate in Tuesday's outing.  He had not pitched for 16 days and the rust showed.

"He needs innings.  You will rust out your arm before you wear it out.  It is no one's fault.  Our starters have been going deep into games and you have to save your long man," Dusty Baker said.

The Reds recalled Carlos Fisher.

Homer Bailey pitched a simulated game.

When told that the batters that faced him said that he had Cy Young stuff, Bailey replied, "That's like counting your chickens before you have chickens."

The sore-shouldered righthander reported that his fastball and curve were good but his slider was not.

"I couldn't put the slider where I wanted to," Bailey said.  "That's usually the last pitch that I get back."

Ramon Hernandez will be activated before the game Thursday.  He will spell Joey Votto at firstbase.

"I rested Brandon (Phillips) last night," Baker said.  "I need give Joey a rest.  The guys that went to the All-Star game didn't get a break."

The move also gives Hernandez, who is out with a sore knee a game to get his legs under him.

"We will have Hanigan catch tomorrow.  Ramon should be ready to catch Cueto Saturday in Houston," Baker said.

Bailey is pitching in a rehab assignment in Dayton on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment